Thursday, May 1, 2014

I recently decided to change my research paper topic from my previous post. I now plan to talk about youth/teen concussions from sports. I plan to talk about the symptoms and how it effects the development of the brain. Also maybe why they are becoming so much more common than in years past. I'm not sure if i should narrow it down to concussions within a specific sport or just talk about all of the sports in general. I also plan on talking about POTS syndrome (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) If you get too many concussions some teens develop this which is like having a concussion for an extended time including symptoms. This is causing some teens and youth to not be able to be as physically active as they should be able to otherwise. For my research paper I plan to interview Katie Pogue who recently got POTS this last year from too many concussions in hockey. I could also possibly talk to Trainer John (Claire's dad) as he deals with most of the primary concussions in our school. I was interested in this because I myself have had at least two concussions in my hockey career and I am certain it has affected me and my ability to learn. If you could help with what direction to go in with all of this that would help greatly. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Nice topic, It's good that you picked something you are interested in, that way (hopefully) it will be easier to research. Your interview subjects sound great and relevant as they both deal with concussions. Are you thinking of adding parts of narrative in your essay? I think it would help the reader see why this subject is important. As far as brain development it might help to look into some psych and Bio research, they both do studies for the developing brain. When you say they are becoming more common, is it because more risks are taken, more people are aggressive, or perhaps are we more susceptible to them now than say 20-30 years ago?

    ReplyDelete