Tuesday, May 6, 2014

    The purpose of my paper is the growing awareness to concussions in contacts sports and how it affects teenagers and families as a whole. I chose to write about this because I and many of my friends have been greatly affected by concussions through sports. I am going to have two different interviews with friends of mine that have been affected by concussions. Mackenzie Degelder is one of them. She obtained her concussions through taekwondo and now cannot participate in a sport that she could have went to the olympics for and loved so much. The other person I chose to interview was Katie Pogue. I have played with Katie since I started hockey and she was recently diagnosed with POTS syndrome so now she cannot play hockey anymore either, you can get POTS from having too many concussions and it affects you for the rest of your life. With myself having two concussions, possibly more depending on what doctor you ask and the effects it has had on me and the people I chose to interview thought it would be a good topic to write about since it hits so close to home and is such an up and coming controversy these days with contact sports such as hockey and football. I want to describe in detail what a concussion is. The symptoms it has with it and how it is treated. I also wanted to relate it to the interviewers and explain more about POTS syndrome and what that is as well. I’m not sure if I’m covering too many topics within this.. but, this is what I have right now.

2 comments:

  1. Savanna, So far I think this looks great! I like how you are planning on starting off what a concussion is. I think by starting off your paper this way, it will take it from more of an informative standpoint. By doing this, people would get a good grasp at what a concussion is and what your paper is going to consist of. I think it could be cool if you compared and contrasted the experiences you have had with concussions with the interviews that you are going to do. I think this would be a good idea to look at different stories of concussion victims. But still add lots of research and informative research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about too many topics; I'd say if anything you might find yourself painted into a corner. You're interviewing subjects without much authority on the matter, which might hurt your final product. When you finish interviewing them, look into someone with more authority in the field.

    ReplyDelete